Fill in our contact form and we will get in touch!
What is childcare allowance?
Do you use childcare? Then you might be able to apply for childcare allowance of the Dutch tax system. But not everyone is entitled to this, there are several requirements you have to meet. Are you wondering if you are entitled? Then read on.
To be entitled to childcare allowance you have to meet several requirements.
- You are working, studying, or following a process towards working. When you have a partner, your partner needs to fulfill this requirement as well.
- You are working: In this case, it is important whether you are working or not. You do not necessarily have to fulfill a permanent job. Working as, for example, a freelancer of artists is sufficient. Did you become unemployed? You still will receive childcare allowance for a period of 3 months.
- You are studying: The study you are doing has to be recognized by the Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschappen. A regular educational institution does fulfill this requirement. However, if you are following a study at a private educational institution, it is advisable to check if the study is recognized by the Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschappen.
- You are following a process towards working: In this case, a process is meant which helps you to start working again. For example a reintegration process.
|Childcare||Maximum hourly rate|
|After school care||€7,27|
For how many hours can you get childcare allowance?
- At maximum 230 hours per child per month.
- Here you can calculate the hours of childcare allowance you are entitled to.
You can apply for the allowance via “Mijn Toeslagen”. You can apply for it with 3 months retroactive effect.
Determining the amount of childcare allowance depends on a lot of different factors. Taking into account all the mentioned requirements, the roadmap is as follows:
- Determine the maximum hourly rate;
- Determine for how many hours you can receive childcare allowance;
- Multiply point 1 and 2;
- Determine with the use of the allowance table which percentage you get of the amount determined at point 3 as childcare allowance.