Fill in our contact form and we will get in touch!
What is rent allowance?
Rent allowance is a contribution of the Dutch Tax System to the rental costs for tenants who pay too much rent for their home in proportion to their income. Are you wondering if you are eligible? Then read on.
Whether you are eligible for the allowance depends on your income, rent, age, and the composition of your household. The limit of assets will still be maintained. There are several conditions attached to the housing allowance. You are entitled to this if you/your:
- Rent an independent living space;
- Have signed a rental contract;
- Can demonstrate with the bank statements that you pay the rent;
- Are at least 18 years old;
- Live in the Netherlands;
- And your housemates are registered with the municipality of your home address;
- And your housemates and toeslagpartner have Dutch nationality or valid residence permit;
- Income is not too high;
- Rent is not too high (less than € 752,33 or if you are under 23 less than €442,46);
- Assets are not too high (€ 31,340 or if you have a toeslagpartner: € 62,680).
If you have resident children above the age of 23, only their income that exceeds € 5,044 counts. However, there are still a number of special situations.
The amount of rent allowance
The amount depends on your rent, income, assets, and housemates. Due to the expiry of the income limits, you might be entitled to rent allowance in 2021. You can calculate whether you are eligible for rent benefit on the website of the Belastingdienst.
You can apply for the allowance via the Belastingdienst. It is based on the information that the Belastingdienst has on you. Therefore, our advice: if something changes, report this immediately. This prevents you from getting too little or from having to repay it later. You can report these changes by logging in with your DigiD at “My allowances”
We are happy to help!
Do you have any questions about rent allowance? Or do you have any other tax related questions? The TaxSavers is happy to help you. Fill in our contact form or give us a call on +31 (0)20 – 2170120.