Fill in our contact form and we will get in touch!
Are study costs deductible?
Did you incur study costs? They might be deductible!
Did you incur study costs? In some cases they are deductible. However, you have to meet several requirements when you want to declare your study costs in your tax return. On this page, we will explain which requirements you should fulfil to qualify for tax-deductible study costs.
If you want to declare the incurred costs in your annual income statement, you have to meet several requirements:
- Firstly, you are not entitled to a study grant;
- Also, the education you are going to follow is needed for your current or future job and is a learning path (leertraject). An education is qualified as a leertraject when you get guidance during your studies.
Which amount is deductible?
- First, add the qualifying study costs;
- Then, subtract the threshold of 250 euros;
- Do you receive compensation from your employer for your study costs? Deduct this compensation from the amount determined at point 2.
The remaining amount is deductible when you file your annual tax return. The study costs are deductible in the year you made them.
The maximum deductible amount is €15.000. There is an exception for people younger than 30 years who are in in their standard study period. In this case, there is no maximum deductible amount.