Fill in our contact form and we will get in touch!
Are study costs deductible?
Study costs are deductible until 2021
Did you incur study costs? Good to know that study costs incurred in 2022 or later are no longer deductible in the Netherlands. As an alternative, the STAP budget has been introduced. However, study costs incurred in 2021 or earlier are deductible if you meet the conditions. The study costs must be deducted in the tax return for the year in which the costs were incurred. On this page, we will explain which requirements you should fulfill to qualify for tax-deductible study costs.
Help with your tax return!
Conditions tax-deductible study costs
If you want to declare the incurred costs in your annual income statement, you have to meet several requirements:
- You are not entitled to a study grant;
- the education is needed for your current or future job and is a learning path (leertraject);
- you incurred the study costs in or before 2021.
What costs are deductible?
Only the necessary study costs are deductible. You can think of tuition fees or examination fees and educational tools which are necessary for your studies. Examples of necessary education tools are books, software, protective clothes, etc.
What costs are not deductible?
- Costs of a laptop, tablet, or printer;
- interest on your student loan;
- travel costs;
- study costs of your children.
What amount is deductible?
- First, add the qualifying study costs;
- Then, subtract the threshold of 250 euros;
- Do you receive compensation from your employer for your study costs? Deduct this compensation from the amount determined at point 2.
The remaining amount is deductible when you file your annual tax return. The study costs are deductible in the year you made them.
The maximum deductible amount is €15.000. There is an exception for people younger than 30 years who are in their standard study period. In this case, there is no maximum deductible amount.
We are happy to help you!
The TaxSavers is happy to help you get the most out of the deductible items with your annual tax return or provisional assessment. A provisional assessment ensures that you receive a monthly refund from the tax authorities.
Do you have questions regarding deductible study costs or other tax-related matters? Fill in our contact form or give us a call at +31 (0)20 – 2170120.