Fill in our contact form and we will get in touch!
Are travel costs deductible?
Incurred travel costs? They might be deductible!
I travel to work by public transport.
If you travel to work by public transport, it could be the case that you are entitled to a deductible. If you fulfill the requirements, your travel costs are deductible.
- You do not receive compensation (or a really low amount);
- Your journey with public travel is more than 10km;
- You travel once a week or at minimum 40 days a year;
- You travel back and forth within 24 hours;
- You have a public transport statement or a travel statement.
- You travel with your personal OV-chipcard.
- You can prove that you made the journeys yourself. For example, by providing a declaration overview, which you can get from your online OV-chipcard environment.
Be aware! Your travel history is only saved for 18 months.
Requesting a public transport statement or a travel statement
If you travel with a monthly or annual ticket, you can request such a statement at the public transport company. Do you travel by another ticket? In that case, you can request a travel statement from your employer.
What amount is deductible?
The deductible amount depends on how often you travel and on how long the journeys are. The table mentioned below shows which amount is deductible in your situation.
|One-way||Number of times per week|
|Distance more than (km)||But less than (km)||4 days or more||3 days||2 days||1 day|
Does it mention a *? In that case, the deductible amount is € 0.24 per kilometer of one way of the journey x the number of days you have traveled in 2021.
The maximum travel deduction is €2.185.
I travel to work using my own transport.
Do you travel to your work using your own car or motorcycle, for example? In that case, you are not allowed to deduct travel costs. However, your employer is allowed to give you tax-free compensation per kilometer. In 2021, this amounts up to €0.19 per kilometer.
We are happy to help!
The TaxSavers is happy to help you get the most out of the deductible items with your annual tax return or provisional assessment. A provisional assessment ensures that you receive a monthly refund from the tax authorities.
Do you have questions regarding deductible travel costs or other tax-related matters? Fill in our contact form or give us a call on +31 (0)20 – 2170120.